May 14th to June 15th 2018
idigNauvoo Archaeological Conference June 3 – June 9, 2018
You are invited to participate in a real archaeological dig next summer in Nauvoo, Illinois. Visit us at FaceBook: idigNauvooSponsored by the Joseph Smith Historic Site and the Samuel H. Smith Foundation. This will be the Six year of digging in Nauvoo. 2017 year was incredible!! Not only did we find Samuel’s home we found hundreds of artifacts. With the success of the last three years we will continue the work on the Samuel Site, but we will be adding a new project in 2018 finding the Small brick office of Hyrum Smith . We will dig Monday through Friday, May 14 – June 15, 2018. Dig helpers can report to work for a four-hour shift, morning (starting at 8:30 am to 12:00 pm) or afternoon (1:00 pm to 4:30 pm ). Up to 25 people will be assigned to a team during a shift, so your whole family and friends can work together! Don’t quite have that much time? We can be very flexible, just let us know.
Three Different Volunteer Opportunities:
- I dig Volunteer. No fees required. These individuals sign up for the “i dig Nauvoo Volunteer Event” and enter the dates/times that you are available. By signing up we can assure that we will have a spot for you to volunteer when you come to the site. idigNauvoo T-shirt and souvenir trowel and other thank you gifts are available with the suggested donation on site. All funds will be used for the cost associated with project and for beautifying the site when the project is complete. Scouts can earn the archaeology merit badge by working on the site.
- Crew of member of idigNauvoo. One week minimum commitment required. Shifts are generally Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Cost is just $175 a week for food and board, which includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the Historic Nauvoo House or idigNauvoo’s Legacy Village . Scholarships for Food and Board are available. Contact us for details. Crews are made up of 6 to 12 individuals so bring your friends!!! Crew members are open for college age students and older . Crew members under 18 age must have a parent or guardian in attendance. Currently the idigNauvoo staff is working for college credit for high school and college students. Check back for more details as they come available.
- Donor. We love donations! They are used to buy tools and supplies and provide on-site scholarships for the i dig Nauvoo Crew. Any additional funds will be used to beautify the site after the dig is complete. You can choose your own thank you gift for your donation showing that you supported this historical event. Donate Now
Information for Families and Volunteers: Archaeological work is not easy, so we recommend that parents of young children sign up for the same shift as their children. Then when/if children become tired, a parent/adult can assist the children or take them to other activities. Sessions may be shared by multiple individuals. We want to help your family create positive memories, so don’t over schedule your family.
- Morning session: 8:30 a.m.–12:00 noon
- Afternoon session: 1:00–4:30 p.m.