You are invited to participate in a real archaeological dig this summer in Nauvoo, Illinois. Visit us at FaceBook: idigNauvooSponsored by the Joseph Smith Historic Site and supported by the Samuel H. Smith Foundation. This will be the four year of digging in Nauvoo. 2015 -2016 year was incredible!! Not only did we find Samuel’s home we found hundreds of artifacts. With the success of the last year we will finish the Samuel Site, but we will hopefully finish another project. Two years ago while working on the Joseph Smith Sr site we found a foundation that is thought to be Porter Rockwell business. This structure contained Porters barber shop,
meat Shop and Bar. The unfinished portion of the structure became a stand used by the Prophet Joseph to give his last public address to the Nauvoo Legion. You can help literally uncover past by helping us this year.We will dig Monday through Monday, May 15 –June 17, 2017. Dig helpers can report to work for a four-hour shift, morning (starting at 8:30 am to 12:00 pm) or afternoon (1:00 pm to 5:00 pm ). Up to 25 people will be assigned to a team during a shift, so your whole family and friends can work together! Don’t quite have that much time? We can be very flexible, just let us know.
Three Different Volunteer Opportunities:
- I dig Volunteer. No fees required. These individuals sign up for the “i dig Nauvoo Volunteer Event” and enter the dates/times that you are available. By signing up we can assure that we will have a spot for you to volunteer when you come to the site. idigNauvoo T-shirt and souvenir trowel and other thank you gifts are available with the suggested donation on site. All funds will be used for the cost associated with project and for beautifying the site when the project is complete. Scouts can earn the archaeology merit badge by working on the site.
- Crew of member of idigNauvoo. One week minimum commitment required. Shifts are generally Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Cost is just $100 a week for food and board, which includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the Historic Nauvoo House. Contact us for details. Crews are made up of 6 to 12 individuals so bring your friends!!! Crew members can be from ages 12 to adult. Crew members under 18 age must have a parent or guardian in attendance. Currently the idigNauvoo staff is working for college credit for high school and college students. Check back for more details as they come available.
- Donor. We love donations! They are used to buy tools and supplies and provide on-site scholarships for the i dig Nauvoo Crew. Any additional funds will be used to beautify the site after the dig is complete. You can choose your own thank you gift for your donation showing that you supported this historical event. Donate Now
Information for Families and Volunteers: Archaeological work is not easy, so we recommend that parents of young children sign up for the same shift as their children. Then when/if children become tired, a parent/adult can assist the children or take them to other activities. Sessions may be shared by multiple individuals. We want to help your family create positive memories, so don’t over schedule your family.
- Morning session: 8:30 a.m.–12:00 noon
- Afternoon session: 1:00–5:00 p.m.